For the Cake
- 125g unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 175g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons of whole milk
For the Syrup
- juice of 1 ½ lemons
- 100g icing sugar
For the Glaze
- juice of a lemon
- 150g icing sugar
- A tablespoon of dried lavender completely optional but looks very pretty!
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas 4
- Cream butter and sugar and add lemon zest and eggs, beating together well.
- Gently fold in the flour and the salt.
- Add milk and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into your prepared tin and bake for around 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Next, make your syrup by putting the lemon juice and icing sugar into a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven, skewer all over and pour over the syrup.
- Be patient! Leave the cake to completely cool before removing from tin.
- For the glaze, combine the lemon juice and icing sugar and drizzle liberally over the cake.