All you need
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 x small onion, finely chopped
- 2 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x dried bay leaf
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 10g fresh basil, leaves finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 x large courgettes, trimmed and sliced lengthways into 1cm-thick slices
- 1 x large egg, lightly beaten
- 70g plain flour
- 150g grated mozzarella
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 30g parmesan, finely grated
- Green salad, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan set over a medium-high heat and fry the onion for 7-8 mins until soft. Add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 1 min. Tip in the tomatoes and simmer over a low heat for 25 mins. Season well, remove the bay leaf and stir in the basil.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. put the egg in a shallow bowl and flour on a plate, then lightly dip each side of the courgette slices in the egg followed by the flour. Arrange half the courgette slices in a layer on the bottom of a 15 x 25cm baking dish, then scatter over half the mozzarella and pour over half the tomato sauce. Repeat the layers once more to use all the ingredients, then scatter over the breadcrumbs and parmesan. Bake for 35mins until lightly golden on top and bubbling at the edges. Leave to rest for 10 mins. Serve with extra basil leaves and a green salad, if you like.